N. Brown of Lander, WY gave a skull of Amynodon found by the donor in the Tertiary near Lander.
A skull and associated bones of Moropus from the Miocene of Nebraska was purchase from Harold J.
Cook. A very large skull of Triceratops was purchased from George Sternberg, who found it in the
Cretaceous of Wyoming. The Wyoming Eocene Expedition of 1909, by Walter Granger. N. H. Brown,
a civil engineer of Lander, WY found an Amynodon skull along the N face of the Beaver Divide, near
the P. O. of Haily. This indicated the presence of an unknown (Uintan) horizon in the Wind River
Basin. The party was in charge of Walter Granger with George Olsen as Department assistant. Mr.
William Stein was employed as cook, teamster and field worker. Mr. C. Forster Cooper, of Cambridge,
England, joined the party as guest and remained about 6 weeks, performing his share of expedition work.
Messrs. Olsen and Stein left the museum on May 5th, reaching Fort Bridger a few days later, got outfitted,
went into camp on Smith's Fork, near Grizzly Buttes. They worked there until W. Granger arrived
about June 15th. On June 18th the party left Fort Bridger for the Wind River country. Permanent camp
was established at Haily on July 1st. On July 4th Mr. Cooper, who had been waiting at Lander joined
the party. The following month was spent working the Tertiary beds exposed along the north side of
the Beaver Divide from 3 camps: about 5 miles E of Haily, Wagon-bed Spring and Barrel Spring. During
the stay at the first camp Mr. N. H. Brown visited the camp, remaining for several days and assisting in
the location of the specimen and horizon. Early in August work was transferred to the old collection area
in the vicinity of Lost Cabin. Work continued until Oct. 1st and camps were made at McClellan's ranch at
the mouth of Bad Water, at Buck Spring, 10 mi. E. of Lost Cabin, on Alkali Creek at Caspar road, upper
crossing at Wolf's ranch 4 mi. above Lost Cabin and again at McClellan's ranch. While at Buck spring and
directly after Mr. Cooper's departure on Aug. 18th, 2 side trips were made with Granger and Olsen going
to the exposures lying 10 mi. E. of Buck Spring and near the extreme eastern end of Wind River basin.
The Lost Cabin region was left on Oct. 1st, and on the 3rd camp was made on the west bank of the Wind
River near Shoshoni. 3 days were spent examining the badlands a few miles above the entrance to the
canyon. From here the party moved up Muddy Creek to a point 12 miles from Wind River and a few days
later the camp was moved 5 miles further up. On Oct. 20th Granger and Olsen left for the East, Stein
remaining to winter the outfit. Expedition to the Laramie Cretaceous of Montana, 1909, by Barnum
Brown. Mr. Brown was in charge of the expedition, assisted by P. C. Kaisen. Brown left the museum
on June 23rd, stopping at Ashley, Ohio to purchase a skull of a Mastodon found by Mr. Walter Deller.
From there went to Fairmont, IN to secure a Castoroides skeleton but found it had been sold to the
Field Museum. Mr. Kaisen had left 2 weeks before and hired Al Ladonnet of Glasgow as cook and helper.
He proceeded to Mr. J. L. Willis' ranch where the outfit was wintered. Work begun on June 21st with
the removal and boxing of the Triceratops skull found the previous season on Rock Creek. It lacked the
nasal horn and rostrum, but was otherwise complete with jaws. Brown could not get to camp until July
11th because of high water. At this camp part of a skeleton of a new ornithopod dinosaur was found. It
is probably the same species as the one found in 1906, apparently the same size and supplements the
parts, but no skull and jaws. Camp was moved to the head of San Arroyo near Bear Creek on July
17th.Here a ceratopsian was found by Kaisen. The posterior 2/3rd's of A Champsosaurus was found.
Another partial skeleton of the new ornithopod was found. It is larger than the other two and at the
highest point in the Laramie, that dinosaurs are found. Brown left camp on Aug. 7th and rode up the
Missouri River to the N. side to Carpenter and Gibson's ranch opposite the mouth of Squaw Creek. He
mapped the northern and western exposures of Hell Creek. He returned to camp on Aug. 15th. They
moved camp to Shade Creek near Mr. Warren's ranch, 25 miles from Willis'. Well preserved
Triceratops bones were collected whereever found, as it seems likely a composite skeleton of this
animals will have to be made. Most of these bones came from near Warren's ranch. 4 miles E of the
C. K. ranch a large area of badlands is exposed on a divide between Sand Creek and Prairie Elk.
These were worked from a camp at Spring Creek where they moved on Sept. 15th. This is the farthest
E that good bones were found. The best specimen found was the skull and jaws of a small Trachodon,
the coossified cervicals of a Triceratops and 8 caudal vertebrae of a Tyrannosaurus. The seasons work
closed on Sept. 20th . Kaisen shipped the half car load of fossils, 21 boxes on Sept. 22nd. Brown went
to Havre and spent a day finding 4 promising sites in the Judith River on the Mild River. From there went
to Didsbury, Alberta, Canada. From there drive 100 miles E to J. L. Wagner's ranch on the Red Deer
River. He found tons of bones, mostly Trachodon.