OBFS 2013 Annual Meeting ---- 19-22 September 2013
REGISTRATION FORM (CLICK HERE: Registration Deadline is 20 August 2013)
AGENDA: Detailed Agenda. A hard copy of the Detailed Agenda and an Agenda-At-A-Glance will be provided in your registration package upon arrival.
PRE-MEETING FIELD TRIPS (CLICK HERE)
Welcome to the Southwestern Research Station (SWRS)
The SWRS is a private, non-profit research facility under the direction of the Science Department at the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH, New York). The SWRS, located in the Chiricahua Mountains of southeastern Arizona, is part of a unique complex of about 27 mountain ranges, the Madrean Archipelago/Sky Islands. The 96 acres of the SWRS is surrounded by the Coronado National Forest. Since its founding in 1955, the SWRS goal has been to add to the existing diversity and strengths of the AMNH by providing scientists and educators from the Museum and other institutions across the country and around the world the opportunity to participate in research, workshops, and classes in one of the most biologically rich environments in the United States.
Contact Information: Southwestern Research Station, Portal, AZ 85632; 520-558-2396; FAX 520-558-2018
Theme for this year’s meeting: “How Biodiversity is Shaping the Evolution of Research and Education at Field Stations”.
Theme for this year’s auction: “Threatened and Endangered Species”. Bring a costume to wear that represents your favoriate plant or animal.
Please note that limited travel funds are available to reimburse travel costs of registration and meals. Interested parties should contact Carlos de la Rosa
Arrival and check in for meeting participants will be Thursday, 19 September, from 1 to 9:00 p.m. If you expect to arrive after 6:45 p.m., please eat dinner before you arrive. All registrants will check-in at the SWRS Main Office. After 9:00 p.m., late arrivals will check in at the Education Building. The office will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. from 20 – 22 September for your convenience and late arrivals.
Arrival and check in for field trip participants and Board of Directors will be held Wednesday, 18 September from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m., followed by a reception, dinner, and the Board of Directors meeting (during dinner; open to all).
A Map of the Station may be downloaded here. A printed color version of this map will be included in your registration package upon arrival. Please remember there is no cell phone service at the SWRS, however we do have wireless internet so you may use electronic devices to communicate with friends and family. One phone is available for use in the SWRS Computer Room if you have a calling card. You may bring a card with you or purchase one in the Main Office or Gift Shop. Gift Shop hours are 8-12 and 1-5 pm daily. The Gift Shop also sells t-shirts, pottery, other items, and beer and wine.
A conference room, education building, and several laboratories will host opening sessions, invited talks, and breakout sessions. Wired internet is available in the laboratories and Education building. Wireless internet is available in most areas of the SWRS. If you do not bring a laptop, a few computers are available with internet in our Computer Room.
A small ice machine is available in the Mammalogy Laboratory (please take only what you need so that others will have ice). The SWRS has a swimming pool (bring a pool towel) which is fed by spring water (no glass allowed at the pool). Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Mailing address: Southwestern Research Station, P.O. Box 16553, Portal, AZ 85632.
UPS and Fed Ex delivery (2 day): Southwestern Research Station, 2003 W. Cave Creek Road, Portal, AZ 85632. If you wish to ship something from SWRS, please plan to use UPS or the USPS because FedEx does not pick up at SWRS.
ACCOMMODATIONS AT THE SWRS
Accommodations at the SWRS will be held in the order in which registrations are submitted. OBFS members will be given priority for lodging. You will be assigned a bed in one of the housing units listed below. Families may be accommodated, if space is available. Linens are provided in all rooms (sheets, towels, pillow). Please bring your own toiletries.
Triplex Units (3 units; 9 rooms): each triplex unit has three rooms that can sleep three adults or two adults and two small children. Each room has a private bathroom, microwave, small frig, and coffee maker (coffee not provided). Two of these rooms are ADA compliant. (occupancy - 27 participants, minimum).
Duplex Unit (one unit; 2 rooms): each duplex room has a double bed and two twin beds that can sleep 3-4 participants. Each room has a full kitchen and bathroom. We recommend that OBFS members travelling with children register early to obtain one of these two units. (occupancy - 6-8 participants)
Dormitory: the two story dorm has 24 rooms with either two or three twin beds per room, a closet, desk and wireless internet; (occupancy 52 participants).
Camping: a limited number of participants (10) will be allowed to camp on station grounds. A bathroom with shower will be available for campers to use. Towels and pillows will be provided but no sheets, so bring a sleeping bag (nights in the fall can be very cool). No open campfires are permitted on Station grounds.
OFF STATION ACCOMMODATIONS
For individuals who prefer to stay in a hotel, below are two options we recommend based on quality and nearness to the SWRS:
Cave Creek Ranch: Please visit their website for more information: http://www.cavecreekranch.com/; for reservations call 520-558-2334. Cave Creek Ranch is located 3.5 miles (down canyon) from the Station. Once on I-10 (from east or west) take Road Fords Exit 5 to Hwy 80 South, Drive 27 miles and take left on Portal Road (NM 533), drive 7.7 miles and make a slight left to Forest Rd 42 (do not take right fork to Paradise), 0.9 miles turn left on Piedra Blanca Ln – destination is on your left.
Portal Peak Lodge: Please visit their website for more information: http://www.portalpeaklodge.com/ ; for reservations call 520-558-2223. Portal Peak Lodge is located 5 miles (down canyon) from the Station. Once on I-10 (from east or west) take Road Fords Exit 5 to Hwy 80 South – Left on Portal Road (NM 533), drive 7.1 and make a slight left on Rock House Rd. You will see the Portal Peak Lodge and Café.
Camping in the Coronado National Forest. One campground in the forest (Sunny Flat Campground) has bathroom facilities but no showers. The campground is situated right on Cave Creek and has very nice sites. If you stay at this camp ground, you may take a shower at the SWRS in a designated bathroom. The campground is located 2.5 miles down canyon from the SWRS. See website for more information. – Once on I-10 (from east or west) take Road Fords Exit 5 to Hwy 80 South, Left on Portal Road (NM 533), drive 7.7 miles and make a slight left to Forest Rd 42 (do not take right fork to Paradise), About 2.7 miles campground will be on your right. Please visit their website for more information:
For other lodging options, information about the Portal community, and weather for the area please visit http://www.portalrodeo.com/
Our dining facility can seat 70 people indoors, 12 on a screened porch, and 20 at outdoor picnic tables. All meals will be cooked in the SWRS kitchen. Participants arriving prior to the 19 September and departing after lunch on the 22 September will have meals included in the extra day(s) fee. Lunch on 19 September will be pack your own sack lunch for those participating in the field trips. A full breakfast will be available that morning at 7 am before field trip departure.
Meal times: Breakfast 7:00 am to 8:00 am; Lunch 12 noon to 1 pm; Dinner 6 pm – 7pm. Since we are do not cater our meals but cook all food on site, you must arrive to meals on time and depart the kitchen by the designated time listed above. The cooks must have time to prepare the next meal and clean the kitchen at end of each meal. Coffee, hot tea and water to fill your bottles (please bring a water bottle) will be available on the porch of the dining hall daily. The dining hall itself will be closed between meals.
There will be a mixer on Thursday and Friday evenings at 7 pm. The Auction and mixer will be held Saturday night at 7 pm. A dance will follow the auction beginning at 10 pm.
We suggest you bring enough clean clothes for the three day meeting to keep water use at the SWRS at a minimum. If you must wash clothes, the SWRS has a small laundry facility. Tokens for the washer and dryers are sold in the Main Office. We provide soap with the tokens. Because our septic system is a constructed wetland, you must use our perfume-free soap (please do not bring your own).
Cancellation Policy: For the 2013 OBFS Meeting, the SWRS will have a 14 day cancellation policy. Cancellation prior to 14 days, participants will receive a full refund of their fees. Cancellation made within the 14 day period will be assessed a $100 administration fee, which will be deducted from the entire conference fee. The balance will be returned after the conference.
TRAVEL TO THE SWRS
The SWRS is located 2.5 hours from Tucson International Airport and 3.5 hours from the El Paso International Airport. Car and van rentals are available at each airport. Carpooling is highly recommended. Directions below come from I-10 East and I-10 West. If you prefer to come from a different direction we suggest you use the map function of Google for directions. You may type in Southwestern Research Station, Portal, AZ as your destination
From Tucson International Airport
1. From Tucson International Airport (recommended). (2.5 hours)
2. Exit Airport and head southeast on S Airport Dr continuing onto Tucson Blvd
3. 0.7 miles Turn Right on E. Valencia Blvd
4. 2.7 miles you will see signs for I-10 East. Take this exit
5. Stay on I-10 for 130 miles passing towns of Benson, Willcox, and San Simon. If you are hungry, stop in Benson or Willcox for lunch (lots of exit signs).
6. Once past the exits for San Simon, continue on I-10 into New Mexico (about 14 miles).
7. Take Exit 5 (Road Forks) which will put you on 80 S
8. Take 80 south - 27 miles (Do not speed on 80 South, unless you want to take home a ticket as a souvenir)
9. Turn right on NM 533 to Portal (if you find yourselves in Rodeo, New Mexico then you missed the turn off to 533 by two miles – turn around)
10. Once on Portal Road drive 7 miles and you will see the town of Portal on your left (It is very small, keep driving up the canyon).
11. Stay on 533 and drive 5 more miles. You will pass a fork in the road. Stay to the left on paved road; DO NOT take the fight Fork (dirt road) to Paradise.
12. The paved road will turn into a dirt road the last mile to the SWRS.
13. Pass a swimming pool on your left and then a large White House (our dining hall).
14. Take a left on the dirt road past the dining hall and then another left through the gates of the SWRS.
15. Park in Main Lot.
Driving from the West Coast
1. Get on I-10 heading East
2. Staying on I-10, drive through all Tucson Exits and pick up directions above at #5
From El Paso International Airport
1. Head west on Convair Rd toward Terminal Dr S
2. Turn left onto Airway Blvd
3. Turn right onto Montana Ave
4. Slight left onto US 180 W/ E Paisano Dr (signs for I-10)
5. Turn right onto Gateway Blvd W
6. Take the ramp on the left onto I-10 W entering New Mexico
7. Slight left to stay on I-10 W
8. Take exit 5 to merge onto NM 80 S towards Rd Forks
9. Take 80 south - 27 miles (do not speed on 80 south, unless you want to take home a ticket as a souvenir
10. Turn right on NM 533 to Portal (if you find yourselves in Rodeo, New Mexico then you missed the turn off to 533 by two miles -- turn around
11. Once on the Portal Rd drive 7.7 miles and you will see the town of Portal on your left (it is VERY small, keep driving up the canyon)
12. Stay on 533 and drive 5 more miles. You will pass a fork in the road. Stay to the left on the paved road; Do Not take the right fork (dirt road) to Paradise.
13. The paved road will turn into a well-maintained dirt road the last mile to the SWRS
14. Pass a swimming pool on your left and then a large white house (our dining hall).
15. Take a left on the dirt road past the dining hall and then another left through the gates of the SWRS
16. Park in Main Lot