1903 Jurassic of Wyoming
Mr. Kaisen and Mr. Paul Miller left the museum on June 1st and reached Medicine Bow on June 6th. The following day the outfit was taken to Rock Creek near Reed Quarry and camp established. Mr. Martin Kaisen was hired as a cook and quarry assistant. Work was started in Reed Quarry first, as the water in August is undrinkable. Work started immediately in removing bones. The large bones seemed to play out. The other bones were mainly small humeri, femora and scapulae. Vertebrae were numerous, but not many were collected because they belonged to young animals. The small bones of young animals lay on the bottom layer. The big bones were much scarcer and lay on top. The workings were abandoned on August 1st. About 2 miles West of Reed Quarry a prospect was worked and a femur and ilium of Stegosaurus (nos. 956 and 957) were worked out. Camp was pitched near Bone Cabin Quarry on August 3rd. A stripping of about 1,200 feet was made before collecting began. About 800 square feet was explored. The bones were scarcer than before. Toward the close of the season a pocket was found with good bones that seemed to continue under the bank. Here was found the most valuable specimen of the season, a Diplodocus skull. Thirty two boxes were filled, weighing 10,000 lbs. On Sept. 25th work was closed for the season and the outfit placed with Mr. Beery for the winter. Mr. Kaisen and Mr. Miller returned to the museum.